Rogers backs decision to rule him out of Tests

Lehmann

Opener details dizzy spells after helmet blow in nets but insists he will be right for Ashes

Chris Rogers has backed the decision by Cricket Australia’s Bupa Support Team to rule him out of the two-Test series in the West Indies, but insists he will be right for the forthcoming Ashes tour.

Recap and highlights: Smith leads way for Aussies

Rogers said when he took a blow to the helmet in the nets in Dominica, he first felt it was “pretty insignificant” but had since suffered with dizzy spells and splitting headaches.

“I wasn’t batting great at the time,” said Rogers. “I got hit on the head when I was just a bit early on a pull shot. Then I was actually hit on the box and that’s when I walked away and was a little bit annoyed.

“To be honest, I didn’t think much of the hit on the head. I’ve been hit on the head quite a few times.

“I thought it was just another one. But then I just didn’t start to feel great. I spoke to the doc and didn’t expect him to rule me out of the Test, but he did.

“I was a little bit surprised at the time but since then I still haven’t quite recovered. I’ve had some pretty bad days so I think the doc was right. He made the right call.”

CA’s Dr Peter Brukner made the tough call to rule Rogers out and the news was delivered in a lengthy chat on the Dominica outfield with coach Darren Lehmann and captain Michael Clarke.

“You never want to miss a Test,” Rogers said.

“Especially for something I thought was fairly insignificant. I guess nowadays any knock to the head can make a difference.

“I just didn’t really think I’d have the headaches and the dizziness that have come with it. It’s been surprising but that’s what has happened.

“At the time, when he asked me about my symptoms, I didn’t think they’d warrant me being ruled out of the Test match.

“But in hindsight, he definitely made the right call. I wouldn’t have been right for that Test and I wouldn’t have been right for this Test, either.

“The only thing for me is that the symptoms have gone for so long. That’s been a bit worrying but I’m assured by the doctor that’s fine.”

And Rogers says despite the numerous head knocks throughout his career, this instance has been a “wake-up call.”

“As an opening batsman and a small one, you tend to cop your fair share on the helmet,” he said.

“But I’ve never really had symptoms like this, I must admit. Even just running and taking a few catches and then feeling terrible for the rest of the day. It’s been a bit of a wake-up call.”

The veteran, who has previously suggested the Ashes tour will be his international swansong, said he was about a week away from being fit to resume his spot.

Rogers’ absence has opened the door for Shaun Marsh to take his place as opener, with scores of 19, 13 not out, and 11 in three Test innings so far on this tour.

“A couple of weeks off in the Caribbean isn’t the worst but you want to be out there playing,” Rogers said.

“There’s still a fair bit of time, but first and foremost it’s getting back into this side, and it (the team) is going pretty well. That’s the challenge,” Rogers said.

“There’s a bit of time and a few practice games before that, so hopefully I’m right.”

Ryan Harris departs Australia today and will be the first Ashes tourist on UK soil, with Rogers and the rest of the Australians due to arrive after the conclusion of the current Test match.

But Rogers could join Harris who will play alongside Aussie young gun Jake Doran in a warm-up match in Hampshire, while Australia’s first official tour warm-up match starts in Kent on June 25, with another on July 1 against Essex. The first Test starts in Cardiff on July 8.

Chris Rogers will be video blogging for cricket.com.au during the Caribbean and Ashes tours, the first of which will be published soon.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *